FOLLOWING ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ZIGBEE:
- Setting up the network is very simple and easy.
- It doesn’t have central controller and loads are distributed evenly across the network.
- It is easy to monitor and control home appliances from remote.
- It will take the place of existing infrared technology based devices. As ZigBee uses lithium battery which lasts long hence it will save cost of battery replacement.
- The network is scalable.
FOLLOWING ARE THE ADAVNTAGES OF Z-WAVE:
- The Z-Wave network installation is simple and easy. If Z-Wave device is once installed, it is also easy to add/remove z-wave devices.
- The Z-Wave devices saves great amount of cost in the battery use as these devices consume less power.
- The home appliances are controlled remotely and this will add to great amount of comfort to the users.
- The z-wave technology based devices are cheaper and affordable.
FOLLOWING ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF ZIGBEE:
- It requires knowledge of the system for the owner to operate ZigBee compliant devices.
- It is not secure like wi-fi based secured system.
- Replacement cost will be high when any problem occurs in ZigBee complaint home appliances.
- The coverage is limited and hence can not be used as outdoor wireless communication system. It can be used in indoor wireless applications.-`
FOLLOWING ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF Z-WAVE:
- The coverage is limited and hence requires more z-wave devices to cover larger region. This increases the overall cost if more z-wave repeaters or routers are employed.
- The technology requires knowledge to keep it secure from unauthorized people. This is due to the fact that it is wireless in nature which can be accessed from anywhere and z-wave works on RF.
- It supports limited number of nodes i.e. 232 which is less than 6500nodes as supported by ZigBee standard.
- It supports less data communication speed up to 100 kbps which is less compare to ZigBee.
Mesh networks become more suitable as you add more devices to the network. One Z-Wave network with 30 devices will tend to be more reliable than one Z-Wave network of 15 devices and one ZigBee network of 15 devices. If I had to choose one among ZigBee and Z-Wave, I would choose Z-Wave because I believe that for someone just staring home automation, putting together a highly reliable Z-Wave network will be easier than ZigBee. The Z-Wave Alliance has made it easy to find products that will plug into your network.